WE NEED YOUR HELP
A Lions Partnership with Lions in Sight and Vista Center for the Blind & Visually Impaired
This is a volunteer event to help sort and clean donated used eyeglasses. Volunteer for part of the time, or work the entire event. Lunch will be provided. You do not need to sign up in advance for this event.
- Help sort, clean, and box eyeglasses for shipment.
- No heavy lifting required.
- No previous experience required.
- Willingness to have fun while volunteering a plus!
- Suitable for most skill levels/abilities.
- Donations of clean towels and apple boxes also accepted.
- Please, bring apple boxes only (for consistent size). Speak to the produce manager at your local grocery store to see if you can pick up their empty apple boxes.
- Date: Saturday, September 30, 2023
- Time: 9:00am-2:00pm
- Location: Vista Center for the Blind and Visually Impaired, 101 N. Bascom Ave., San Jose.
(Building is at the rear of the property).
Sign up at Signup Genius, or just show up on Saturday!
- Lions are in receipt of 100,000 or more used eyeglasses every couple of months through an anonymous corporate relationship
- The recycled prescription eyeglasses are distributed to the needy in Lions in Sight and Lions Clubs International sponsored international medical missions
- Vista Center has graciously provided a room at their San Jose location for storage, and use of their auditorium for sorting and cleaning the donated eyeglasses
The Lions of District 4-C6 wish to thank the approximately 120 volunteers who attended our July 29th sorting event. 64 boxes with approximately 500 eyeglasses in each box were sorted.
- 30 boxes of glasses have been sorted, washed, and dried. They are now ready for lensometer reading of lens strength. Lensometer Training and Use events take place almost every Tuesday between 11am and 3pm.
- 34 boxes of damaged eyeglasses and eyeglass parts are ready for recycling by Lions in Sight.
Additionally, 5 boxes of empty eyeglass cases were set aside and are headed to local schools who have requested them.